Free
Anesthesiology Reflections from the Wood Library-Museum  |   December 2012
The Henry and Jouvelet Transfusion Apparatus 1934
Author Notes
  • President of Club d’Histoire de l’Anesthésie et de la Réanimation (French Association for the History of Anesthesiology and Critical Care), France , and Musée Viars, CHU Pitié-Salpêtrière, Paris, France.
Article Information
Anesthesiology Reflections from the Wood Library-Museum
Anesthesiology Reflections from the Wood Library-Museum   |   December 2012
The Henry and Jouvelet Transfusion Apparatus 1934
Anesthesiology 12 2012, Vol.117, 1189. doi:10.1097/ALN.0b013e31827ce168
Anesthesiology 12 2012, Vol.117, 1189. doi:10.1097/ALN.0b013e31827ce168
This apparatus was created in 1934 by Dr. P. Jouvelet and Dr. L. Henry to enable blood transfusion “from arm to arm,” from the donor to the receiver. The left panel shows a contemporary advertisement written in French: Blood transfusion directly from the donor to the receiver: withdrawal and injection, using a single syringe  . The risk of clotting was very limited and there was no possibility for air entry. A flow counter (in cc) provided the total amount of blood transfused. From 1950 to 1975, it was an essential tool of the French anesthesiologist in the operating room, not for direct “arm to arm” blood transfusion but as a rapid infusion and/or transfusion device. The rate depended on the manual rotation velocity through the handle. This apparatus became electrically driven but this increased the risk of air embolism when the infusion vial was empty. This is the reason why an air detection device located in the output intravenous line was introduced.
Figure. No caption available.
Figure. No caption available.
Figure. No caption available.
×
Figure. No caption available.
Figure. No caption available.
Figure. No caption available.
×